THE SOCIAL CHANGE MODEL
In an effort to enhance student learning and facilitate positive social change, the Social Change Model of Leadership Development was created in 1993 by the Higher Education Research Institute of UCLA. This model emphasizes the need to understand self and others, in an effort to create community change. It is less about the leader and more about the leadership community.
The Emerging Leaders Program is based on the individual values of the first three C's of the model:
- Consciousness of self
- Leadership is socially responsible, it impacts change on behalf of others
- Leadership is collaborative
- Leadership is a process, not a position
- Leadership is inclusive and accessible to all people
- Leadership is values-based
- Community involvement/service is a powerful vehicle for leadership
Through participation in the Emerging Leaders Program, students will learn and practice the skills needed to make change in their own lives, community, and the world to become active global citizens.